dimanche 3 juillet 2011

Kvitova adjusting to life as Wimbledon winner

London (dpa) - While newly crowned Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova gets accustomed to her new status as a Grand Slam champion, there may be even more of an adjustment for her excited father.
Jiri Kvitov, a former teacher who now serves as assistant mayor in the small Czech town of Fulnek, was moved to tears as his 21-year-old daughter upset Maria Sharapova to win the grass-court major.

"He's still crying. I think he's crying now after every match," said his daughter, who will move to a career-best seventh on the WTA.
Kvitova was planning her look for the Sunday night Wimbledon ball, but was mistakenly informed that dancing would be required. That ritual was abandoned some years ago' much to the Czech's relief.
"Dancing? Sorry, I can't dance," she said.
The newest member of the Grand Slam champions' elite said that her main goal is to stay as she is. "I don't know about this still," she said in the first flush of victory. "It's still unbelievable feeling. Maybe I'll accept it after, I don't know, some days.
"Hopefully this will not be the last one," said the 2010 semi-finalist at the All England Club. "My game needs to improve, but I know I can play on all surfaces. We will see in the future."
"I like finals and I like the big matches," said the woman who sealed the most important win of her career with an ace of the first of three match point.
"Last year I had experiences from the semi-final, this year I played well the semi-final. I believed that I could play on the finals very good, and I played (well)."
Kvitova, first to break through from her generation of Caroline Wozniacki, Agnieszka Radwanska. Andrea Petkovia, Julia Goerges and others, knows that she cannot stand still in her game.
"I (need to improve) still everything: fitness, my serve - we have a lot of work."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire