samedi 30 juillet 2011

Golf-Masson leads Open but Tseng ready to pounce

CARNOUSTIE, Scotland, July 30 (Reuters) - German Caroline Masson will take a two-shot lead into the final round of the Women’s British Open on Sunday with defending champion and world number one Yani Tseng lurking as her nearest challenger.
Halfway leader Masson fired a 68 to reach 15-under—a 54-hole Championship record—but Taiwan’s Tseng recorded a best of day 66, which included a 70-foot putt for an eagle three at the 14th.
Briton Catriona Matthew (68), the 2009 champion, and South Korea’s Park Inbee (73), the 2008 U.S. Women’s Open Champion, share third place on nine under par.
On a day when tricky pin positions and a stiff breeze saw a number of players fall out of contention, 22-year-old Masson grew in strength. She did three-putt the opening hole for bogey but then picked up six birdies before dropping another shot at the 18th.
“I really enjoyed it today but I still can’t really believe it,” said Masson, who has had seven top 10 finishes in two years on the Ladies’ European Tour.
“I came here this week maybe hoping to make the top 20, but with no real expectations of winning.
“But now I’m excited. I am so looking forward to playing with Yani. She is the best player in the world and I know I will learn a lot from her.”
Tseng, who won at Royal Birkdale last year, made her move from the turn. She birdied the tenth, 11 and 13th before rolling home the monster eagle putt. She then made another birdie at the long 17th to be home in 30.
“I played awesome,” said the 22-year-old four-time major winner. “I feel really good and I’m very excited about tomorrow.”
Tseng admitted she had never heard of Masson until yesterday.
“I asked my caddy ‘who’s that?’ But there are so many good players that I’m not too surprised she is up there,” she said.
Scot Matthew thrilled the home gallery with a 68 and also knows how to win at Carnoustie.
Twenty years ago, aged 21, Matthew on the Scottish Amateur Championship over the famous links.
“It helps that I know the course, but I think Yani and Caroline feel pretty happy here now too,” she said with a smile.
“But I think it going to be windier tomorrow and that could suit me. It’s also great to have the crowd on your side, especially when the putts are dropping for birdies.”

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire