lundi 4 juillet 2011

Al Habsi joins Wigan on permanent basis

LONDON (AFP) - Omani goalkeeper Ali Al Habsi has joined Wigan Athletic on a permanent deal from Premier League rivals Bolton Wanderers following a successful loan spell with the Latics last season.
Al Habsi has signed a four-year deal believed to be worth £4million ($6.4m) and the 29-year-old, Wigan's player of the season last term, was delighted by his move.

"To come from Bolton on a season loan and get player of the year was great—especially as it was the first time in my life I had played like a professional in terms of every week," said the 29-year-old.
"The thing with Bolton was Jussi Jaaskelainen was there but I showed myself 100 percent when Jussi was injured and I got my chance and so everyone knew what I had.
"In the end this is football. Every manager has his ideas and the most important thing was when I was there I gave 100 percent.
"But I want to say thanks to the gaffer (Wigan coach Roberto Martinez) for giving me the confidence to come to his club.
"It is like my club now, having already been here for a season.
"At my age this is the time to play week after week and I think I have come to the right club.
"Now it is my job to show myself more than I showed last season."
Martinez added: "Ali had a phenomenal season, winning the player of the year award, and to do that as a loan player says a lot about him.
"We signed him for the long term, someone who is a true ambassador for the club. He is the right age in terms of goalkeepers and I am extremely pleased.
"I know the fans will be delighted. We had to work really hard to get a player who it was well known had had a terrific season but I know has another level to go to."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire