jeudi 28 avril 2011

Top seed Nehwal suffers shock India Open exit

Top seed and local favourite Saina Nehwal suffered a surprise first round defeat to Japan's Ai Goto in the India Open Super Series on Wednesday.World number four Nehwa
l lost 21-17 21-19 to an opponent ranked 20 places below her at the Siri Fort Complex, the venue where she had won gold in the women's singles at last October's Commonwealth Games.
The 21-year-old said she had difficulty in understanding Goto's gameplan.
"I am very disappointed at the loss. I didn't play well. I was confused what strokes I should play," Nehwal told reporters.
"She was moving fast on the court and was playing a lot of drops and half smashes. She has improved a lot since the last time I played her.
"I was not confident of my strokes. She was better prepared. Everything happened so quickly, I don't know what to say."
Second seed and world number nine Tine Baun of Denmark survived a scare before defeating Singapore's Xing Aiying 20-22 21-16 21-12.
In men's singles, top seed Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia had to fight it out against India's Ajay Jayaram before prevailing 21-19 21-18.
Indonesia's Tuafik Hidayat, the world number two, thrashed India's Anup Sridhar 21-13 21-5 while third seed Peter Hoeg Gade of Denmark battled hard to win 13-21 22-20 21-8 against Japan's Kazushi Yamada.
Indian qualifier Sourabh Verma stunned former Asian champion Sony Dwi Kuncoro of Indonesia 21-18 21-19.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire