vendredi 12 août 2011

Athletics-Russia's Rybakov may still compete at worlds

MOSCOW, Aug 12 (Reuters) - Yaroslav Rybakov, ruled out of this month's world athletics championships because of a foot injury, may still defend his world high jump title, the Russian said on Friday.
Russia coach Valentin Maslakov said on Wednesday that Rybakov had told him that he would not compete in South Korea, but the athlete has changed his mind.
"Just a few days ago my foot was swollen and it felt like I would have no chance to jump at my top level in Daegu," Rybakov told Reuters in a telephone interview.
"But since then, the swelling has come down and I may give myself another try," said the 30-year-old, who claimed his first world outdoor title in Berlin two years ago after having to settle for silver at three previous world championships.
"I should have another test in the next 10 days and then I'll make a final decision."
Rybakov, who also finished third at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, said that as a defending champion, he has a personal invitation to take part in the Aug. 27-Sept. 4 championships.
"My name is already on the list (of participants) so I would just need to show up if I decide to go ahead and jump," he said.
Besides Rybakov, in the men's high jump the Russians have also entered European champion Alexander Shustov, world indoor champion Ivan Ukhov and national champion Alexei Dmitrik, meaning Olympic gold medallist Andrei Silnov has missed out. (Reporting by Gennady Fyodorov; editing by Ed Osmond, To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)
(Editing by Ed Osmond)

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire