jeudi 28 juillet 2011

Swimming-Magnussen ends long Australia blue riband wait

* Australian ends more than 40 years of frustration
* Canadian Hayden claims silver in 100 freestyle
SHANGHAI, July 28 (Reuters) - James Magnussen’s exuberant punch into the water ended more than 40 years of frustration for Australia as he stormed to victory in the 100 metres freestyle at the world championships on Thursday.
Magnussen clocked 47.63 seconds to claim the gold medal ahead of Canadian Brent Hayden (47.95) and William Meynard of France (48.00).
The win by the 20-year-old represented Australia’s first men’s 100 freestyle title since the world championships started in 1973.
Additionally, no Australian male has won the blue riband event at a global competition since Mike Wenden took the gold medal at the 1968 Mexico Olympics.
“It means a lot to me and it means a lot to Australian swimming as well,” Magnussen told reporters.
“It will put my name in the spotlights for the London 2012 Olympics (but) I quite enjoy the pressure, the big crowd and the big events.”
Magnussen was fifth when they turned for home, with 2009 world champion Cesar Cielo of Brazil in the lead.
FINISHING SPEED
The finishing speed of the tall Australian, which has been evident throughout the championships, then kicked into gear again and he motored home.
“My advantage over the other guys is in the second 50, being able to hang in there,” added Magnussen.
“I was just concentrating in getting to the end. I know I was drawing close to Cesar and the confirmation to me was when I looked up and it said number one. It felt great.”
Magnussen announced himself on the world stage when he blasted off the blocks to give Australia an explosive start to the relay on Monday.
His lead-off swim of 47.49 seconds not only propelled the team to their first 4x100 freestyle gold at the world championships since 2001 but also upset the heavily favoured French high-speed machine and an American quartet led off by Michael Phelps.
It was the fastest time in the 100 freestyle since polyurethane suits were banned in January 2010.
Magnussen also holds the third quickest time in that 19-month period after clocking 47.90 in the semi-finals on Wednesday.
He said he would now target Cielo’s world record of 46.91 seconds.
“I thought 47.5 was going to put me in the Olympics but 46.9 now starts to look very human. Certainly that (record) is where I should set my sights,” added Magnussen.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire