vendredi 15 juillet 2011

Swimming-Japan’s Kitajima eyes fast pass to London


TOKYO, July 15 (Reuters) - Japanese swimmer Kosuke Kitajima will be using the world championships beginning in Shanghai this weekend to gain a fast pass into the 2012 Olympic Games.
Japan’s decision to automatically select gold medallists for London brings added pressure for athletes but Kitajima, who won 100 and 200 metres breaststroke gold at the 2004 Athens Olympics and defended them in Beijing in 2008, welcomed the move.
“It’s fantastic news,” the 28-year-old told Japanese media on Friday. “If I can lock up an Olympic spot this summer, it will make a lot easier for me to plan my training for London.
“I haven’t competed a world championships for a long time,” added Kitajima, who flirted with retirement after defending his titles in Beijing.
“I want to be standing on the medals podium with (breaststroke rival Naoya) Tomita.”
Backstroker Ryosuke Irie will also look to book his flight to London early, having already posted the quickest time this season in the 200.
Irie also ranks second behind France’s Camille Lacourt in the 100, the event his Japanese team mate Junya Koga won at the Rome world championships in 2009.
“I have shaved my time in training,” said Irie, who has proved too strong for Koga this season, although Olympic 200 gold medallist Ryan Lochte also lurks.
“I’ll try to get the best result possible in the 100 to carry that momentum into the 200, which is my favourite. I’ll have chances to medal in both.”

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire