samedi 2 juillet 2011

Nadal stuns Murray to set up final with Djokovic

London (dpa) - Rafael Nadal will have to play the spoiler to the tennis dream of Novak Djokovic after the pair Friday won into a high-profile Wimbledon final.

Top-seeded holder Nadal will have something to prove on Sunday when he meets Djokovic for the fifth time this season for a title after losing their previous four encounters.
Nadal destroyed the hopes of Britain's Andy Murray in a 5-7, 6-2, 6-2, 6-4 turnaround semi-final after Djokovic achieved a two-fisted tennis dream with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-2, 6-7 (9-11), 6-3 defeat of Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, which also gave him the number one ranking for the first time.
Murray has now stalled at Wimbledon semis in his past three appearances as the British quest for the first men's champion in three-quarters of a century will now stretch to 76 years for next year's edition.
Nadal was happy to go through but voiced sympathy after his mauling of the local hero.
"I feel said for Andy, he deserved to be in a final, It was a tough loss for him today but all the best for the rest of the year.
"I had to play very well with my best tennis to beat him, That's the only way, I needed fantastic shots and I think I had those today. Andy played well at the beginning but was a bit unlucky."
Djokovic called his day "definitely one of the most important in my life, in my career."
The Serb who will replace Nadal at the top of the ATP rankings on Monday added: "When you know you're going to be the best in the world and you're reaching the finals of your favorite tournament, it's something special."
The overjoyed Serb fell on his back to the grass of centre court as Tsonga sent a return wide on a third match point and then kissed the turf in victory after just over three hours.
No matter what he does in his Sunday Wimbledon title defence, Nadal cannot improve for the moment. The rise of Djokovic marks the first time since February, 2004, that anyone not named Roger Federer or Nadal have held the top spot.
"I've been working all my life for this, I've dreamed of playing a Wimbledon final since I started tennis at age four," said Djokovic, who won his first 41 matches of the season before Federer caught him in the Roland Garros semi-finals a month ago.
"To be there playing on Sunday will be the best feeling. This is one of those moments where you can't describe it with the words.
"You remember all your career, all your childhood, everything you worked for, you know, that comes true now." Tsonga, fresh from a comeback win over Federer, said he was simply out-played. "My opponent was just better than me today.
"I tried to take my chance on every points, but was just tough because he was running everywhere and I saw the ball all the time come back, it was tough."
Nadal took a set to get going but then mowed down Murray with precision and power.
The Spaniard has yet to beat Djokovic this season, losing to him in Master 1000 finals at Indian Wells, Miami, Madrid and Rome in the space of two and a half months.
Murray was carrying a hip injury onto the court while Nadal had been having a heel problem dulled with pain-killing drugs all week.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire