mercredi 6 juillet 2011

Golf-Scotland is last throw of the dice for Monty

INVERNESS, Scotland, July 6 (Reuters) - Colin Montgomerie
heads to this week's Scottish Open for his "last throw of the
dice" as he bids to qualify for a 22nd consecutive British Open. 

To book a place at next week's major at Royal St George's,
the 48-year-old Briton has to be best-placed of the top five
finishers at Castle Stuart on Sunday not exempt. 

Montgomerie has not given up on the prospect of producing a
British Open performance similar to those of Greg Norman in 2008
at Royal Birkdale and Tom Watson's epic bid at Turnberry in 2009
but acknowledges the odds are stacked against him. 

"It's the last throw of the dice here," Montgomerie told
reporters on Wednesday, the day before tackling the Scottish
Open. "For 21 years I've played in the Open, so I'd like not to
have that record broken. 

"It's going to be difficult, very difficult but I've got a
good draw with Luke Donald and Peter Hanson, two of my Ryder Cup
team, hopefully they can pull me along. 

"If I can qualify I would go down there having a shot on a
fast-running course like Royal St George's. At 48 that gives me
my best opportunity."       

Montgomerie has climbed to 285th in the world rankings,
largely through a seventh-place in Europe's flagship PGA
championship in May, having slumped to 420th during his two
years as Ryder Cup captain. 

The eight-times European number one still harbours hopes of
getting into the world's top 50 to make qualifying for majors
less of a trial. 

"I started my term as Ryder Cup captain at 47 in the world
and finished it outside the top 400. That shows what it did to
my career," said Montgomerie, who led Europe to victory in last
year's edition.  

"The goal I have now is to get back into the top 50. I don't
think that is unrealistic."  

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire