dimanche 17 juillet 2011

Golf-Another major championship near-miss for Dustin Johnson

SANDWICH, England, July 17 (Reuters) - Dustin Johnson made
it an unfortunate hat-trick of major championship near-misses
when he had to settle for a share of second place in the 140th
British Open on Sunday. 

The big-hitting American, who also went close to breaking
through at last year's U.S. Open and U.S. PGA Championship, was
left to rue an expensive double-bogey seven after going out of
bounds with his second shot at the long 14th on Sunday. 

"If I had to do it over again I'd hit a three-wood instead
of a two-iron there," the 27-year-old told reporters after a 72
for 278 -- two under par -- meant he finished three shots behind
winner Darren Clarke of Britain. 

"But I was two off the lead...and out here you don't get too
many opportunities to make birdie," he said after his second
shot sliced wildly right of its intended target. 

The 6-foot-4 Johnson was also less than satisfied with his
performance on the greens after another bogey at the last
slipped him back for tie for second at Royal St George's with
U.S. Ryder Cup partner Phil Mickelson.  

"I played well enough maybe to get it done today but just
didn't hole the putts at the right time," said the 27-year-old. 

Johnson, who recorded a hole-in-one at the 163-yard,
par-three 16th in Thursday's first round, was unwell at the
start of the tournament and on a course of antibiotics. 

"I think I had a great week," he said. "I came down with a
little bit of illness, wasn't feeling that well, so I didn't
know what to expect.   

"I didn't have my best stuff for sure but I hung in there
and just fought." 

Johnson led by three shots going into the final round of the
2010 U.S. Open only to balloon to a closing 82. 

In the PGA Championship two months later he missed another
excellent chance by incurring a controversial two-shot penalty
for grounding his club in loose sand - deemed a bunker by
officials - at the 72nd hole. 

"Like I say all the time, the more I put myself in this
situation the better," said Johnson. 

"The more I learn, the more I understand my game and what
happens in these situations."      

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire