dimanche 20 mars 2011

Punished Terry restored to England captaincy

John Terry's return as England captain was confirmed on Sunday by manager Fabio Capello.

Terry was stripped of the captaincy 13 months ago after allegations he had had an affair with the former girlfriend of his Chelsea and England teammate Wayne Bridge, Vanessa Peroncell, who vehemently denies the claims.

Capello has not been able to tell Rio Ferdinand, who had replaced Terry, the news personally, and saying that the Manchester United defender "preferred not to meet me" at Old Trafford on Wednesday.

Terry will make his come-back as skipper in the European Championship qualifier away to Wales on Saturday.

"I decided John Terry would be the captain for this game because, after the (friendly) game in Copenhagen (last month), the way the armband was moved around was upsetting for him," Capello said.

"Also, I said my decision would be the day before the (Wales) game because I wanted to speak with the players, I wanted to speak with John Terry.

"I also knew the England doctors spoke with the doctors of Manchester United and Liverpool and I knew that Rio and Steven Gerrard were injured.

"But I have decided that John Terry, after one year of punishment, will again be the permanent captain. I think one year's punishment is enough.

"He was my first choice when I decided on the permanent captain."

Capello praised Terry's attitude during his time away from the captaincy. "John also, when he played without the armband, was every time a leader on the pitch, a leader in the dressing room," he said.

"He was really good every time. I have been impressed with John in the 12 months he was not captain.

"Always he is the same. He is a player that is himself a leader. This is really important. He is the biggest personality in the dressing room."

Ferdinand will revert to his previous role as vice-captain when he recovers from injury with Steven Gerrard, also ruled out of the Wales clash, next in line to wear the armband.

Capello tried and failed to speak to Ferdinand at Manchester United's Champions League game against Marseille on Tuesday.

"I hope I will meet him in the future to speak with him personally and privately, not by phone because I think by phone is not so good," he said.

"He was ready to meet me but he preferred not to meet us. I don't know why. It is a question for him, not me.

"I was ready, I wanted to speak with him and explain my decision. I hope he will be fit to play for the national team because he is one of the most important people with his experience and value as a player.

"I spoke with Steven and it is no problem for him and he told me he wants to be fit to play the next Euro game against Switzerland."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire