vendredi 1 juillet 2011

Diving Tsonga rues hurry-up call

LONDON, July 1 (Reuters) - Jo-Wilfried Tsonga said a warning from the chair umpire about slow play had disrupted his rhythm during his four-set loss to Novak Djokovic in the Wimbledon semi-finals on Friday.
Tsonga broke Djokovic’s serve in the first game of the match and served for the opening set but after a few words in French from Portuguese Carlos Ramos, he was
broken by the Serbian second seed.
“I started well then at 5-4 the umpire told me to take less time between points. I said ‘Yes’,” Tsonga told reporters.
“It’s complicated because he said that I was taking a bit longer than allowed…then he said nothing.
“There are other players who I play from time to time who take their time too…but no one ever says anything.”
Although Tsonga won a dramatic third-set tiebreak 11-9, his epic five-set win over Roger Federer in the quarter-finals seemed to take its toll and Djokovic completed a 7-6 6-2 6-7 6-3 victory.
“I went off the boil,” the French 12th seed said, adding that he had enjoyed diving around Centre Court to entertain the crowds.
The flamboyant Frenchman was involved in several thrilling rallies with Djokovic, flinging himself across the turf to make volleys and earning rapturous applause as he lay prone on the grass.
“This is the only surface you can really dive because on the others if you dive you go directly to the hospital,” he said.
“If you give to them (the crowd), they give to you. I try to give everything. I try to fight and then they support me,” said the popular 26-year-old.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire