lundi 4 juillet 2011

Dad's football tips pay off for Aus teen van Egmond

BOCHUM, Germany (AFP) - Emily van Egmond thanked her footballing coach dad on Sunday as she became the youngest Australian ever to score a World Cup goal.Van Egmond, who turns 18 next week, is the daughter of former men's footballer and now coach Gary van
 Egmond, a member of Australia's 1988 Olympic team.
The Canberra United player, who made her senior debut against North Korea last year, scored her first international goal in the Matildas' 3-2 win over Equatorial Guinea on Sunday.
And she revealed she had gotten useful tips from her dad, a former championship-winning A-League coach with Newcastle Jets, now with the Australian Institute of Sport Football Programme and an U-17 men's coach.
"He obviously does share tips and advice with me since he is a coach now and has a lot of knowledge," she told FIFA.com.
"We sometimes have individual training sessions where he helps me with things that I need to improve on like technique, shooting and fitness. When we are at home we often watch football together on TV.
"We like to watch Barcelona play especially and he would tell me about players to watch during a game, then ask me afterwards what I think, and tell me about the things that they do which I can do better.
"So it is definitely great to have someone help me and share with me the knowledge that he has."
Despite her inexperience van Egmond showed few signs of nerves as she put Australia 2-1 ahead after 48 minutes in just her seventh international game.
Leena Khamis' eighth minute goal had been matched by Equatorial Guinea's captain Anonman who scored the first of her two goals on 21 minutes with Lisa De Vanna sealing victory on 48 minutes.
"I am very nervous at times but I am really enjoying the opportunity that the coach (Tom Sermanni) has given me to come out on the field and play, and it has been a really great experience for me so far."
"I have never played in any tournament like this so for me it really is an out of this world experience!"
Coach Sermanni heaped praise on the teenager after her historic goal.
"I thought she was outstanding today (Sunday). She has great skill, good vision. We have high hopes for her being an exceptional player in the years to come."
For van Egmond her next goal is to beat her dad's record.
"I always actually tease him that he has never been to a World Cup while I have, so I just need to participate in an Olympic tournament and I would beat him," she added.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire