dimanche 29 mai 2011

Van der Sar signs off on a low note

LONDON (AFP) - Edwin van der Sar admitted Barcelona had ruined his final fling as the Manchester United goalkeeper's last match before retirement ended in a 3-1 defeat in the Champions League final.
Van der Sar announced earlier this season that he would hang up his gloves at the end of the campaign and he was forced to bow out on a low note as Barca tore United to
 shreds at Wembley.
The 40-year-old Dutchman's last career memory will be a bitter one as he was beaten three times by fine finishes from Pedro, Lionel Messi and David Villa.
"I played one game too many I think, it is not nice to lose of course. They had the better chances and we made one or two mistakes and they punish you," Van der Sar said.
"It was disappointing but that's life. It would have been better to go out on a win.
"I'm all right, not emotional. This is the right time for me and I'm ok with it."
Van der Sar felt Messi's goal nine minutes into the second half was the turning point as it left United chasing the game against superior opponents.
"It took twenty minutes for them to get in game and then after our equaliser and going in level at half time you hope game is still open, but we didn't start well and we conceded another goal," Van der Sar said.
"It turned in their favour. You can stop them, they have lost this season, but they have excellent players and it didn't happen tonight."
Van der Sar was criticised for his positioning and reactions as he dived late to try to stop Messi's long-range strike, but the veteran insisted he did nothing wrong.
"I thought I was positioned well," he said. "He tends to curl it into the far post but he didn't."
After a superb career with Ajax, Juventus, Fulham and United, Van der Sar plans to take some time away from the game.
He will relax with his family for a while and then return to England to do his coaching badges, but he has no doubts that it will be hard to get used to life without the thrill of playing.
"I'll go on holiday now. I will probably take a year out, go to games with friends in normal situations, maybe play golf," he said.
"It's going to be very hard but I exceeded my expectations by about three years. I'm quite relaxed. Shit happens."
United defender Rio Ferdinand admitted Barca had been the better team but he was disappointed with his side's failure to conform to Ferguson's gameplan.
"We need to give them credit. They were the better team and probably deserved to win," Ferdinand said.
"They are a good side, know their jobs and work well as unit. You have to try to combat that.
"We had a good gameplan and maybe didn't implement that as well as we should.
"At 1-0 down I thought we still had a good chance. We got back on level terms then conceded a bad goal and the third goal killed it off.
"It leaves a bad taste but we have had a top season winning the league and getting to the Champions League final again."
Meanwhile, Barcelona's Javier Mascherano, impressive as a makeshift centre-half, risked enraging United fans by dedicating the victory to supporters of his former club Liverpool.
Mascherano was selected ahead of injured captain Carles Puyol and successfully subdued in-form United striker Javier Hernandez as Barca secured their second Champions League final triumph over Sir Alex Ferguson's team in three years.
"I know the Liverpool supporters were a little bit sad with me after my exit, this is for them as well," he said.
"We are really happy, we beat a fantastic team and played in the way we know how to play.
"To win the Champions League, for any footballer, is the top title.
"For the last two months I have played centre-back, it's not my natural position but I tried to give my best to team and I am happy because we won the title."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire