dimanche 29 mai 2011

Nats’ Hairston banned one game for ‘aggressive actions’

NEW YORK, May 29 (Reuters) - Washington Nationals infielder Jerry Hairston has been suspended one game and fined an undisclosed amount for “aggressive actions” in a game against the San Diego Padres, Major League Baseball said on Sunday.

The third baseman’s actions, which included making contact with umpire Ed Hickox, took place during the bottom of the seventh inning in Friday’s game at Nationals Park.
Hairston had argued with Hickox about Padres left-hander Clayton Richard(notes), claiming the pitcher had not given him enough time to set up in the batter’s box.
“He held the ball and I stepped out,” Hairston told reporters after Friday’s game. “As soon as I stepped back in the box, he was coming. You just can’t do that. You have to let the hitter get set.
“Basically, I asked for help and when I asked for help, I got thrown out. I never cussed at the umpire or anything. I didn’t feel I needed to get thrown out there.”
Hairston was scheduled to serve his suspension on Sunday but he has appealed the decision and will therefore continue to play in the interim.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire