lundi 23 mai 2011

Montella hopeful of permanent deal as Roma coach

ROME (AFP) - Caretaker Roma coach Vincenzo Montella believes he has a chance of landing the job on a full-time basis despite failing to steer the club into the Champions League.
Montella took over from Claudio Ranieri at the end of February and was given the mission of guiding the club to a top four finish.

Under his stewardship, Roma picked up 24 points from 13 games, a much better rate (1.85 points per game) than the 39 points from 25 matches (1.56) under Ranieri.
However, they finished sixth and only snatched a Europa League place on the final day of the season.
And although Roma will now be strongly linked with sacked Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti, who has long made it clear he wants to coach the club, Montella believes he has a chance of staying on.
"A while ago I was told that I was in with a great chance (of staying) and nothing has changed," said Montella.
"Anything can happen and that goes also for my thinking because I must evaluate the situation.
"I want to continue being a coach but we must see if there are the conditions for everyone that would allow me to do so at Roma.
"It's not up to me to put myself forward, the work I've done these last months speaks for itself."
Montella is a former player at Roma and was youth team coach when he was called up to guide the first team.
However he has also been linked with another former club, Sampdoria, who have just been relegated to Serie B.
However, Montella said officially he has had no contact with anyone.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire