mardi 24 mai 2011

Masters champ Schwartzel thrilled to crack world's top 10

VIRGINIA WATER, England, May 24 (Reuters) - U.S. Masters winner Charl Schwartzel will have an extra spring in his step at this week's PGA Championship after climbing into the world's top 10 for the first time.
"I had a smile on my face when I found out because it's been one of my goals for a long time," the world number seven from South Africa told reporters at Wentworth on Tuesday.

"You've got to take it one step at a time but I would love to be number one and I feel I can be (one day)."
Schwartzel landed his first major title in spectacular fashion last month, birdying the last four holes to win at Augusta National, and he said it was a life-changing moment.
"When you win normal events it's fantastic ... but the next week someone else will win and that guy becomes the hero for the week and people sort of forget very quickly," said the 26-year-old.
"But no one forgets a major and I didn't realise how big a deal it was. Wherever you go people recognise you, where people used to only recognise you in your golf clothes, now it's even in casual wear."
Schwartzel said fellow countryman Louis Oosthuizen's 2010 British Open triumph at St Andrews had given him extra motivation this season.
"It was good to see him win and that just sort of inspired me," said the seven-times European Tour winner. "Now that I have won too I think we both have sort of got a silent smile, we've got that first major.
"But both of us want to keep going, we've got that rivalry and it never stops. If you win one major people say, 'When are you going to win the next?'."
The globe-trotting Schwartzel, who now divides his time between the U.S. and European tours, said the coveted Masters green jacket travels with him wherever he goes.
Asked if he put it on every day, he replied: "I did for a while".
The European Tour's flagship PGA Championship, which carries a prize fund of 4.5 million euros ($6.33 million) and features seven of the top nine players in the world rankings, starts on Thursday.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire