vendredi 27 mai 2011

Garcia eyes U.S. Open qualifier to keep major run alive

DALLAS, May 27 (Reuters) - Sergio Garcia, who has not missed a major in more than a decade, will try to book his place in next month’s U.S. Open via 36 holes of sectional qualifying in Memphis on June 6.
The Spaniard has dropped out of the world’s top 50 after struggling with his form and motivation over the last few years, costing him automatic exemption for the game’s biggest events.

“I’m going to give it my best shot,” Garcia, 31, told reporters after firing a four-under-par 66 in the opening round of the Byron Nelson Championship on Thursday.
“I love playing the U.S. Open. My sister is coming for the U.S. Open, so I want to try to make it so they can see me, both her and her boyfriend. That would be nice.
“The hope is still that I play well enough this week that I don’t have to do it (play in the Memphis qualifier). But with what happened at the British Open qualifier, I’m willing to make a little bit of an effort.”
Garcia was forced to withdraw on Monday from the U.S. qualifying tournament in nearby Plano, Texas, for this year’s British Open because of an infected finger nail.
The Spaniard has played in each of the last 13 editions of the British Open, with a best-finish of second in 2007, but is not yet guaranteed a start at Sandwich, England in July.
The June 16-19 U.S. Open at Congressional in Bethesda, Maryland will be held first, however, and Garcia, whose world ranking has slipped to 73, has a few other possible routes to earn a spot there.
He would qualify if he can crack the world’s top 50 as of June 13 or by winning one of the three remaining PGA Tour events to be played prior to the year’s second major.
Should the Spaniard miss out at Congressional, he would end an unbroken major streak dating back to the 1999 British Open at Carnoustie.
“It doesn’t mean anything to me,” the former world number two said of his 47 consecutive major appearances. “Some people focus on records and things like that.
“I just want to do the best I can and I want to enjoy what I do. There is going to be a time when I’m not going to play a major and my streak is going to go. It doesn’t bother me.”

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire