mardi 22 mars 2011

SIDEBAR: Triumphant Djokovic: Nadal over Federer for greatest-ever

Novak Djokovic on Sunday labelled beaten Indian Wells finals opponent Rafael Nadal the best to ever play the game after defeating the Spaniard 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 for a third title of the season.
Djokovic voiced his opinion of Nadal as the "best player ever" during the trophy ceremony at the desert event.
He later repeated: "I think he's the best ever, because, even though he's 24, 25 years old, he has done so much already. (He has) many years in front of him. I think he could (even) overtake Roger in the Grand Slam trophies."

Federer, whom Djokovic beat in the semi-finals, holds a record 16 titles in Grand Slam events.
Djokovic defended his stance as "just what I think."
But more than his rivals, the Serb is concerned with his own game, nearing perfection in an 18-0 season three titles at Indian Wells, the Australian Open and Dubai.

"I'm playing with a lot of confidence. I'm feeling the ball well on the court. I'm very dedicated. I have a big will to win each match I'm playing," Djokovic said.

"So it will not stop here, definitely. I want to keep on going and keep on playing good tennis. Hopefully I can, you know, recover and get ready for Miami."

Djokovic may be back on the number two ranking behind Nadal but he is also aware that his run cannot continue indefinitely: "I don't think anybody is unbeatable. I'm having the best period of my life on the tennis court, but nobody is invincible. You are just trying to play your best in each match you're playing."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire