samedi 16 juillet 2011

Golf-Watson may have won if wind had blown all week - Mickelson

SANDWICH, England, July 16 (Reuters) - The 61-year-old Tom Watson would have been the man to beat if the wind and rain that lashed Royal St George’s on Saturday had been in evidence at the British Open all week, according to fellow American Phil Mickelson.
Five-times champion Watson treated the fans to a glimpse of a bygone era when, battling against the worst of the weather early in the day, he shot a brilliant two-over 72 for a four-over tally of 214.
“If we had bad weather like we had this morning the entire tournament…I think he (Watson) would be tough to beat,” world number six Mickelson told reporters after clambering up the leaderboard with a 71 for 210, level par.
“He hits the ball so solid, he plays links golf, he hits a low, penetrating running shot so well and controls his distance through his trajectory, it’s really impressive to watch.
“He was behind me the first couple of days and I’d watch him hit approach shots because he just knows how to do it here.”
Mickelson has always flattered to deceive at the third major of the season, chalking up just one top-10 finish in 17 previous appearances, but he said he was “very excited” ahead of the closing round.
“There’s nothing more exciting than on Sunday having a chance in a major,” said the 41-year-old left hander after finishing five strokes adrift of leader Darren Clarke of Britain.
“I know I’m not leading but I’m right there. If I play a good, solid round—it might have to be six-under it might only have to be two-under, depends on the weather, but I’m going to have a good chance.”
Mickelson, a triple U.S. Masters champion and winner of the 2005 U.S. PGA Championship, said Lady Luck smiled on the late starters on Saturday as the early wind and rain gave way to blue skies and sunshine.
“I think the guys that played late got really lucky, myself included,” he said.
“It went away right around the turn for me and we went from fighting for pars on every hole to thinking of birdies on some.”

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire