jeudi 14 juillet 2011

Golf-Glover leads American charge with sizzling finish

SANDWICH, England, July 14 (Reuters) - Lucas Glover led the early American challenge at the British Open with a storming finish to his first round at Royal St George’s as the winds relented on Thursday.
The bearded Glover, winner of the 2009 U.S. Open, finished with three consecutive birdies for a four-under-par 66, taking advantage of tranquil conditions on the south coast Links after gusty winds had earlier buffeted many of his compatriots.
Glover finished 2-3-3, completing the back nine in 31 to move to within a shot of early leader Thomas Bjorn and British amateur Tom Lewis.
He was joined on four under by fellow American Webb Simpson who carded a bogey-free 66 which included four birdies on a back nine that was there for the taking in the benign conditions.
“The way the wind was blowing and the way I started out hitting it I didn’t think I would get to four under,” Glover, sporting a lush layer of facial hair, told reporters.
“But the way I turned and the way I started hitting it on the back, I knew I could make some birdies coming in.
“Coming in we had a little bit of wind but not enough where you have to lower your ball flight significantly to get it to go the distance you wanted.
“For me `comfortable’ would be the right term I’d use.”
Earlier in the day, the elements were less favourable for a quartet of American former British Open champions.
Ben Curtis, who won at Sandwich in 2003, finished with a seven-over 77, as did 2004 winner Todd Hamilton.
David Duval, the 2001 champion, struggled to a 78 while veteran Mark O’Meara, who lifted the Claret Jug in 1998, shot a 76.
Of the American younger generation, world number 10 Nick Watney went out in the worst of the weather and returned a four-over 74 but Rickie Fowlershowed real links golf craft to return a level-par 70 playing alongside Rory McIlroy.
“I had a fun round today, obviously a fun pairing, and hit a lot of good shots and a lot of positives going into tomorrow,” the 22-year-old, who sank a snaking 40-foot birdie putt on the first, told reporters.
Despite the testing conditions, Fowler, who is yet to win on the PGA Tour, said he was enjoying the challenge of pitting his wits against the undulating fairways.
“It makes you visualise shots and hit a whole different type of shots,” he said. “I mean you’re not going to get around there with one shot.”
PGA Tour rookie Kyle Stanley continued to make the most of his unexpected place in the Open with a two-under 68, just days after jetting in from the John Deere Classic where a runners-up spot sealed his place in Sandwich.
“I didn’t expect to be here, but now I am, and I just hope I can take advantage of the opportunity,” said the still slightly jet-lagged Stanley who managed to find one of the last hotel rooms in nearby Dover.
“It’s awesome, food is great, room is pretty big, TV is nice. Even the dessert is good too.”

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire