mercredi 29 juin 2011

ROUNDUP: Federer fails to fire as rivals go through at Wimbledon By Bill Scott, dpa

Defeated Roger Federer was cast as the odd man out as the Swiss player's leading rivals all reached their places in the semi-finals at Wimbledon Wednesday.
The third-seed was tagged with a loss by an inspired Jo-Wilfried Tsgona, with the Frenchman firing up from two sets to love down for a 3-6, 6-7 (3-7), 6-4, 6-4, 6-4 quarter-final
upset win in three and a quarter hours.

Tsonga will now face a re-run of his 2008 Australian Open final against second seed Novak Djokovic, who beat Australian Bernard Tomic, his occasional practice partner, 6-2, 3-6, 6-3, 7-5.

At the top of the draw, fourth seed Andy Murray reached his third consecutive semi at the All England club, winning his sixth match without a loss against Spaniard Feliciano Lopez 6-3, 6-4, 6-4.

Top seed Rafael Nadal shrugged off the foot muscle inflammation which made him fearful of continuing 48 hours earlier, overcoming a small lapse of concentration as he beat American Mardy Fish 6-3, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4.

The two-time Wimbledon winner won his 19th consecutive match at the event.

"I played the first two sets well and was up a break in the third when I had a lapse," said Nadal. "I had a few mistakes and Fish played better.

"I lost some of my intensity, I was perhaps a bit too defensive. But to be in the semi-finals again is a dream.

"My foot was better, the anti-inflamatories are working and I'm fine. I didn't know if I had a serious injury but it's nothing serious."

Federer's shock result brought an end to his quest for a record-equalling seventh singles trophy at the All England club. The defeat mirrors his quarter-final ouster a year ago to Tomas Berdych.

Federer stood 178-0 in Grand Slams after winning the first two sets - until he met up with the on-fire Tsonga, who had lost four of his previous five against the Swiss.

Federer has wice been beaten from a 2-0 lead on sets outside of the majors, last losing one to Argentine David Nalbandian in the Shanghai year-end final six years ago.

"It was a tough match to lose today," said the 16-time Grand Slam champion. "I think Jo played great.

"From start to finish I don't remember seeing a break point after I broke him in the first game. But I was close, I had all my chances.

"He came up with some good stuff. So it was tough."

His upset victory stunned 12th seed Tsonga. "It's amazing, I played unbelievable," said the burly Frenchman who lost the 2008 Australian Open final to Djokovic.

"Everything landed in. It's never easy to play Roger.

"The way I came back is just amazing. I'm so happy, it's crazy."

Tsonga got off a flyer in the fifth set, breaking in the first game and claiming victory on his first match point as Federer returned long.

Djokovic was delighted to hold off the teenaged Tomic. "I'm through to the semi-finals, this is a great result," said the Serb who own his first 41 matches this season until Federer beat him in the French Open semis.

"It was a very even match, I played well but had one bad service game and he was back into the match.

Murray said that a leg muscle niggle in his win over Lopez was nothing serious and treatment will put it right.

"I'm playing well, you get pushed more and more as the rounds go on," said the Scot who lost a semi to Nadal only a month ago at the French Open. "I've played well here, each year Ive gotten got better.

"I want to go further this time and I'm looking forward to the match."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire