jeudi 30 juin 2011

Golf-More new experiences for hot amateur Cantlay

NEWTOWN SQUARE, Pennsylvania, June 29 (Reuters) - Amateur Patrick Cantlay, the UCLA student who shot 60 at last week’s PGA tournament in Hartford, was enjoying more new experiences as he prepared for Thursday’s opening of the AT&T National.

“It was the first time I ever signed an autograph where someone brought my picture out and I signed my own picture,” the 19-year-old Cantlay told reporters Wednesday. “That was a little shocking.”
So, too, was Cantlay’s performance in Hartford, where his second-round 60 gave him the 36-hole lead until a 72-70 finish on the weekend saw him fade to a tie for 24th place.
Now the college student advances his education with a turn at Tiger Woods’s invitational tournament.
The field includes young Americans such as Rickie Fowler, Hunter Mahan, Anthony Kim, Billy Haas, Ricky Barnes and Nick Watney, along with international players such as Briton Justin Rose, Australian Adam Scott and South Korean K.J. Choi.
Cantlay, the low amateur at the U.S. Open at Congressional, is confident in his ability and has won many admirers among tour observers.
“I’m not surprised the way I played. It just reaffirmed my belief that I think I can play out here eventually,” he said.
“Right now I can compete out here. It just makes me feel good about the future. These are experiences I’ll build on. You’ve got to learn something every week you play, whether you win or you finish last.”
Another intriguing story line comes with the sponsor’s exemption given American Erik Compton.
Compton, who has been the recipient of two heart transplants, last week won a Nationwide Tour event in Mexico for his first triumph on that circuit.
The victory virtually assured Compton he would earn enough money to gain full-time status on the PGA Tour next season.
“It means the world,” said Compton, who had a hard time finding financial support when he decided to make a comeback after his latest transplant.
“There were very few people willing to take a chance on me. Just to be able to play next year with a card and that nobody can take it away from me.
“The people that have seen what I went through - my wife, my parents, my friends - I would not be here if not for them.
“Now, it’s like I get chills thinking about it. But these people invested in me and all trusted that I would be here. And now I’m doing it. It’s just so awesome.”

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire