samedi 28 mai 2011

Three is the magic number in Zanotti’s record run

VIRGINIA WATER, England, May 28 (Reuters) - Little-known Paraguayan Fabrizio Zanotti reeled off a PGA Championship record seven consecutive threes in Saturday’s third round to ignite his hopes of a first European Tour win.

Zanotti ended the day in joint third place with world number one Lee Westwood after a two-under 69 earned a three-under total of 210, two strokes behind joint leaders Matteo Manassero of Italy and Briton Luke Donald.
The South American’s record run from the eighth hole contained five birdies and came after he had dropped four strokes in the first seven holes.
“I started terribly but on eight the putter began working. Luckily I stayed focused and after the eighth I was more calm,” Zanotti told Reuters behind the giant 18th grandstand as spots of rain began to fall at the European Tour’s flagship event.
Playing partner Bradley Dredge, who shot a 69 for 211, said the Paraguayan had no idea he was on for a record.
“He didn’t realise until I pointed it out to him and the scorers. It was an amazing run, especially around this tough course. He played fantastically well and it was a pleasure to watch,” the Briton told Reuters.
STAY CALM
A final birdie at the par-four 16th and two closing pars left the world number 282 grinning from ear to ear.
“I took it shot by shot and played my own game,” added Zanotti who has twice finished runner-up on tour, most recently at the 2010 Dutch Open.
“You always feel under pressure but hopefully tomorrow I’ll continue to stay calm.”
If Zanotti wins he could be sprayed with champagne, as is customary after a maiden victory, especially given that there are several other South Americans still in the Wentworth tournament.
“The South Americans here are all my friends. We have a great time together,” said Zanotti who racks up more air miles than most in order to regularly see his relatives.
“It’s a big sacrifice to play on tour and live in Paraguay. It tires me out a bit but I have all my family over there.”

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire