mardi 31 mai 2011

Radcliffe struggles as London tests marathon course

LONDON, May 30 (Reuters) - Britain’s Paula Radcliffe made a disappointing return on Monday after an 18-month layoff when she was third in a 10km event on part of the route for the 2012 London Olympics marathon.

The 37-year-old marathon world record holder, who hopes to crown her career by winning gold next year, finished almost a minute behind the winner, fellow countrywoman Jo Pavey.
“For me it was a bit of a disaster,” Radcliffe told the BBC. It was her first race since the 2009 New York marathon because of injuries and the birth of her second child.
Radcliffe, who set her world record of 2:15.25 at the 2003 London Marathon, was hampered by a back problem on Monday. “I’ve got a tear in one of the discs which has meant I can’t go on the track but I thought I was going to be fine on the road,” she said.
“I’m hoping this isn’t a big setback ahead of the Olympics. If I’m still feeling like this in two months then I’ll be panicking but if it is just a month then hopefully I will be alright.”
Before the 10km race Olympic organisers held an early-morning test event to run through the logistics of next year’s marathon route which takes in famous landmarks such as Buckingham Palace, St Paul’s Cathedral and Trafalgar Square.
Club runners were invited to take part, giving officials the chance to test timing equipment, cornering and iron out problems.
“We were testing the technology and timing all the way round and it worked very well,” said Debbie Jevans, the London 2012 Organising Committee’s director of sport.
“What was run today will pretty much be the course because the feedback from the athletes has been so positive.”

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire