mercredi 11 mai 2011

INTERVIEW-Seve's escape acts were unforgettable - Player

LONDON, May 11 (Reuters) - Seve Ballesteros's Houdini-like escape acts were so compelling that amateur golfers will always be trying to 'Do a Seve' when faced with impossible situations in the trees or rough, according to Gary Player.



The nine-times major champion from South Africa said no one took golf to the masses in Europe quite like the swashbuckling Spaniard, who died on Saturday at the age of 54 after a long battle with brain cancer.

"He was golf's greatest charismatic bullfighter, that is the way I like to put it," Player told Reuters in a telephone interview from Johannesburg on Wednesday, the day Ballesteros's funeral was held in his hometown of Pedrena in northern Spain.

"We are eternally grateful for his contribution to the sport. Everyone could associate with the way he played.

"He would hit the ball in the trees and you would think he had no shot. I have played golf with players of all abilities and sometimes they hit the ball in the trees and say excitedly, 'I'm going to "Do a Seve" here'.

"We can celebrate Seve's life as one of our greatest golfing ambassadors."

Player had a bird's eye view when Ballesteros burst on to the scene as a 19-year-old, finishing tied second in the 1976 British Open at Royal Birkdale.

"The first time I saw him was at Birkdale when he was a young boy and hitting the ball all over the place," said the South African.

"I was playing behind him and he was hitting these marvellous shots out of the rough that I simply couldn't believe.

"An average player wouldn't have been able to get out of the tight spots he found himself in but he was getting up and down from bunkers and his short game was fantastic. He was a handsome, good-looking guy and he was just great."



STRONG BOND

Player said he and five-times major winner Ballesteros went on to form a strong bond over the years.

"Seve and I were very good friends," said the 75-year-old, fresh from his regular morning workout in the gym.

"I played against him a lot. We never met at the World Match Play Championship -- an event we both won five times.

"But one day we played together in Spain and he said, 'Okay today we see who is the champion ... and I beat him'," said Player, chuckling heartily.

"We would always sit down and have great conversations. The last time I saw him was when he was driving away from the U.S. Masters five or six years back.

"He saw me and he reversed to say, 'Good to see you compadre, buena suerte (good luck) my friend."

Aside from his dashing looks, his spectacular golfing feats and his sparkling smile, Player said he was always struck by Ballesteros's great love of golf.

Mimicking the Spaniard's halting English accent, Player said: "He used to say, 'You must understand me Gary, my love for this game is unbelievable'.

"Jack Nicklaus's record of 18 major wins speaks for itself but Jack has always said he's not crazy about golf.

"I love the game and I appreciate what the game has done for me but it's not my great passion in life. I also love my farming too because it keeps you in touch with nature," added the South African rancher.

"Seve had a great passion for the game -- he loved golf as much as anyone I've ever seen. I just loved the man and I will always miss him."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire