samedi 28 mai 2011

Golf-Wentworth pin positions are brutal, says McIlroy

VIRGINIA WATER, England, May 28 (Reuters) - World number six Rory McIlroy was left baffled by the course set-up and described the pin positions as “brutal” after shooting a three-under 68 in the PGA Championship third round on Saturday.The 22-year-old Briton was on one-over-par 214 at Wentworth’s West Course after producing his best round of the week at the
European Tour’s flagship event.
McIlroy, unlike several of his playing colleagues, praised the Ernie Els-inspired changes to the layout but said the crowds were being denied exciting golf by the tough pin placements and the lengthening of some holes.
“The golf course is great, I just think it could be set up a little better,” the Northern Irishman told reporters. “Where they’ve put the pins and some of the teeboxes was just a little strange and you think to yourself, ‘Where are they going with that?’.
“I don’t know who set the course up this week but some of the pin positions today were brutal. You couldn’t get close to them at all.
“A couple of tees were also moved back a little—that wasn’t necessary.
“The fans who have paid 35 pounds ($58) or whatever it is to come in, they want to see birdies and people hitting great shots and getting it close. On some of the holes round here you just can’t do that.”
McIlroy was in good humour throughout his round, chatting with the sizeable crowds, indulging in horse-play with his caddie and clearly enjoying himself in the company of Irish playing partner Shane Lowry.
MOOD CHANGE
His mood changed at the end though, smashing his hand against the side of the grandstand when he recorded his only bogey of the day at the par-five 18th after finding a watery grave.
“I played a really good round today and I was really solid,” said McIlroy. “I got up and downs when I needed them and I was just very disappointed about the last hole.
“I actually played a very good second shot but the wind picked it up a touch and it went in the water. It would have been nice to get up and down from there and have a bogey-free day but 68 in those conditions was a good score.”
McIlroy, who will be cheering on his beloved Manchester United in the Champions League final against Barcelona at nearby Wembley later in the day, said he would need a rush of birdies on Sunday to have an opportunity of winning the PGA.
“I’m going to need something like a 64 or 65, maybe even lower, to have any sort of chance,” he said. “But the way I played today I think I’m capable of making a score like that.
“I am looking forward to tonight but it’s going to be very tough. United are going to have to soak up a lot of pressure so hopefully we can defend, catch Barcelona on the break and get a couple of goals.
“I’m going with a friend and we might go on the tube (underground) or by car. I’ve never been on the tube before,” smiled McIlroy.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire