mardi 10 mai 2011

Djokovic dreams of Wimbledon title as top ranking looms

ROME, May 10 (Reuters)- Novak Djokovic could become world number one this week after a stunning 32-match unbeaten start to the year but on Tuesday he revealed his true dream was to be crowned Wimbledon champion.

After a first claycourt success against Rafa Nadal in the final of the Madrid Open on Sunday, Djokovic is breathing down the Spaniard's neck in the rankings.
Should he win a seventh title of the year on Sunday and Nadal fall before the semi-finals, the Serb will reach the summit and break the stranglehold on top spot enjoyed by Roger Federer and Nadal since 2004.
"My goal is to be world number one but my dream is to win Wimbledon," Djokovic, who won his second Australian Open title this year, told reporters on Tuesday.
"I'm not complaining if anything else comes my way. It's always a great honour to win a grand slam but whether I reach world number one today or next year, the important thing is to get there."
Despite beating Nadal in Miami and Indian Wells, Djokovic said beating the Mallorcan on clay for the first time in 10 attempts had been a major breakthrough.
"It was a big step to beat Nadal in his country on clay," Djokovic said. "Mentally it was important. I've watched a re-run of the game and it was great.
"I really looked like someone who felt he could win. I was going for my shots and taking advantage of every opportunity.
"It was definitely my best performance on clay and one of my best ever.
"But I'm trying to keep my feet on the ground. I know if you have a chance to beat Rafa on clay it will be in the altitude of Madrid where the ball is faster."
Djokovic's form has been sensational this year but he casts his mind back to the end of 2010 as the moment a switch was flicked on in his game.
"The Davis Cup final gave me a lot of confidence -- it was more important than winning a grand slam," he said of the dramatic 3-2 win against France in Belgrade.
"It was the start of a great run and gave me a lot of energy. They were the best three days of my life, and since that moment I've been very motivated.
"I'm not thinking that I might lose matches, just winning."
Djokovic opens in Rome against Pole Lukasz Kubot.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire