jeudi 26 mai 2011

Caddie search may now get easier for sacked Montgomerie

VIRGINIA WATER, England, May 26 (Reuters) - Veteran Colin Montgomerie, sacked by his caddie earlier this week, could find a replacement quicker than he thought after surging into surprise contention at the PGA Championship on Thursday.

The eight-times European number one charged to the turn in 30 strokes at Wentworth before a few back-nine hiccups meant he had to settle for a two-under-par opening round of 69 in the European Tour’s flagship event.
“I was sacked on Monday,” Montgomerie told reporters. “I have usually done the sacking in my life, now it’s the other way round—sad but true.
“My caddie (Jason Hempleman) has gone to Francesco Molinari and I’ve borrowed Thomas Bjorn’s caddie (Dominic Bott) because he’s not playing this week.
“Jason is a lovely guy and did a super job for me and I wish him well with Francesco. Now I don’t know what to do.”
Asked about the sort of detail he would include in a possible advert for a new bagman, he joked: “It’s done a few thousand miles and needs a service”.
On a more serious note, the 47-year-old added: “The search is on, this is amazing, all applicants should apply”.
Montgomerie, who won the PGA Championship in 1998, 1999 and 2000, has plunged to 462nd in the world and last recorded a tournament victory when he won the 2007 European Open.
“It’s been a very poor last three years,” said the Scot who looked shocked when he rammed in a 35-foot putt for a birdie three at the eighth. “It’s been awful.
“I would like to get back in the top 50. I’m in the 400s … which is wrong. Days like today give me encouragement to try and work harder,” added Montgomerie, captain of Europe’s triumphant Ryder Cup team last year.
“I had seven birdies in the first 13 holes today so there must be something good going on. It’s just the wrongs, there are too many wrongs.”
There was not much wrong with the performance from world number two Luke Donald on Thursday as he defied the blustery winds and squally showers to shoot a seven-under 64.
“That is a great round of golf,” said Montgomerie. “He is a better player than I ever was.
“He has a much better, much tighter short game. I relied wholeheartedly on hitting the fairways and hitting the greens.
“Luke was very much my first-choice wildcard pick for the Ryder Cup and I don’t think he missed a shot there,” added Montgomerie.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire