lundi 4 avril 2011

Lewis overhauls Tseng to claim year's first major

American Stacy Lewis overhauled world number one Yani Tseng to claim the year's first major and her maiden LPGA Tour title with a three-shot victory at the Kraft Nabisco Championship on Sunday.
Trailing champion Tseng by two shots on another blustery day at Mission Hills Country Club, Lewis mounted an early charge with birdies at the second and third then held her nerve to finish with a three-under-par 69 for a total of 13-under 275.
After calmly dropping a short putt for par at the 18th to seal victory, a relieved Lewis lifted a clenched fist into the air then was mobbed by friends, family and fellow golfers who showered her with champagne.
Later, Lewis joined hands with her caddy, sister, mother and father and then jumped into a water hazard.
"I can't believe it, I felt like I was going to throw up all day," Lewis told reporters. "I can play with the best in the world, I knew I could hang with Yani and I did.
"I played great today, I hit the ball the best I have all week.
"It was tough with the wind but I hung in there and made some key putts."
Tseng, who claimed last year's title by one shot over Norway's Suzann Pettersen, walked onto the first tee confident of retaining it, kissing the trophy before her opening drive.
But the long-hitting Taiwanese saw her chances for a fourth major title disappear with back-to-back bogeys at 16 and 17 to finish with two-over 74, three behind Lewis.
Morgan Pressel, the 2007 champion, had a disastrous round that included quadruple, triple and double bogeys on way to a four-over 74 but still managed to hang on for a share of third with American compatriots Katie Futcher (69), Angela Stanford (73) nine shots behind Lewis on four-under 284.
Michelle Wie was one shot further adrift alone in sixth after returning a three-over 75.
An icy cool Lewis played spotless golf through the opening 12 holes erasing her two shot deficit and building a two-stroke lead.
The 26-year-old American saw her advantage trimmed to one after her only bogey of the day at the 15th but Tseng followed with back-to-back bogeys at 16 and 17 to hand Lewis a three shot cushion stepping onto the 18th tee.
"It was a tough day out there," said Tseng, who has already won four times this year. "It was very windy today and the green was pretty firm and it was very hard to adjust my distance and the speed of my putting.
"Stacy really played awesome out there. She handled the pressure really well and she played great.
"I did my best. I tried my best today and I didn't give her any shots today.
"I hung in there until the last putt and smiled the whole way, whole day. So it was good and it was very good experience for me this time.
"Golf is golf, so this is normal. I just didn't play well."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire