mardi 22 mars 2011

Wozniacki beats Bartoli to win Indian Wells title By

Caroline Wozniacki won the 14th title of her career Sunday as the world number one proved her credentials with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-3 defeat of France's Marion Bartoli in the final of the Indian Wells Masters.
The Dane will remain in the ATP top ranking, while 2007 Wimbledon finalist Bartoli will make a return into the top 10 for the first time in three years.
"This means a lot," said the winner. "It's pretty much a two-week event, and you have days in between like in the Grand Slams. It's a big tournament, and I'm very, very happy.

"Once again I showed that I can play great tennis. I've beaten some really good players this week, I'm playing the biggest tournaments, and I'm winning them. I'm just enjoying myself out there, and I think that it shows in my game."
Wozniacki came good in Indian Wells, a year after losing the title match to Jelena Jankovic. The 20-year-old champion has played for the trophy at her last three finals, winning Dubai and Indian Wells and finishing runner-up in Doha to Vera Zvonareva.
Bartoli was playing her first final since retiring in November in Bali in a WTA year-end event. The French woman won the last of her five career titles in 2009 in Stanford, northern California.
She had ended a painful run of seven semi-final defeats stretching back more than a year and a half to her last title. Bartoli is now 5- 6 in career finals.
Wozniacki ran away with the opening set in 27 minutes as she won the last 10 points in what looked to be the start of a rout. But Bartoli fought back in the second set, breaking twice to level at one set apiece.
"I was not feeling my shots perfectly at the beginning," said Bartoli. "It was a bit chillier today. The conditions were different than the other days."
That momentum didn't last, though, as Wozniacki fought back in the third, earning two breaks but losing one as Bartoli began a surge beginning with a break in the sixth game for 2-4.
Wozniacki eventually prevailed three games later, after Bartoli fought off one match point but sent a backhand long on the second to end it after just over two hours on court.
"If I could play like this in every match throughout the year, I'd be pretty happy," Bartoli said. "Even though I came up a bit short at the end and she was better than me, I think it was really a great fight."

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire